Probation and Parole Officers
Please visit the New Mexico State Personnel webpage at www.spo.state.nm.us Under the New Mexico Corrections Department you will see all the available Probation and Parole Officer positions throughout the state. Postings are updated on a weekly basis, please visit the site often. Submit your application(s) the posting location(s) you would like to work for. Once your application is submitted, it will be reviewed and if selected you will be scheduled for an interview with the Office Supervisor. If you are selected after the interview, you will be referred to NMCTA to complete the pre-employment screening process. The screening is held on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the New Mexico Corrections Training Academy in Santa Fe, NM. The screening process includes document processing, fingerprinting, interview, psychological written assessment and psychological interview.
8:00 am – 5:00 pm, or shift work 24- hour facility Odd Hours, overtime and/or weekend work may be required.
Purpose of Position
This position will supervise individuals on Probation, Parole or both to facilitate rehabilitation, reintegration into society and facilitate public safety.
Associate Degree from an accredited college or university in Sociology, Psychology, Criminal Justice or related field as it pertains to the essential duties and responsibilities of the classification. Any combination of education from an accredited college or university and experience in behavioral case management, commissioned or non-commissioned law enforcement, military law enforcement or as a Probation Officer of the Courts, Disciplinary Hearing Officer, Administrative Law Judge or Adult or Juvenile Correctional Officer totaling two (2) years may substitute for the required education.
- Background check is required.
- Must be U.S. Citizen, reached the age of majority, and must not have been convicted of a felony.
- Must successfully complete defensive tactics, first aid and CPR courses. Position is subject to pre-employment and random drug testing.
- Must be willing to accept travel/geographic assignment changes.
- Must have phone.
- May be required to carry a firearm, work odd hours and visit offenders” home.
- Must complete 6 week NMCD Academy training.
- Successful completion of the NM Corrections Department Basic Probation and Parole Officers Certification Training within twelve months of hire and annual re-certification.
- Maintenance of skills in self-defense, handcuffing, baton, and chemical agents and annual re-certification.
The academy is 6 weeks of instruction that combines course work with practicals. You will be participating in physical training as well as Offender Management, CPR, TASER, and Baton training. Our goal is to provide you with all tools necessary to succeed in your career. Physical training will be required during the academy with the following graduation standard.
- 1 mile under 12:22
- 300 meter under 80 seconds
- 16 standard push ups
- 18 sit ups
Bargaining Unit Position
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement and all terms/conditions of that agreement apply and must be adhered to.
Agency Mission & Description
The Corrections Department provides a balanced system approach to corrections from incarceration to community – based supervision with training, education, programs and services that provide opportunities for offenders to transition to communities.