Springer Correctional Center
The Springer Correctional Center (SCC) was formerly the New Mexico Boys’ School. This facility was established when territorial Governor George Curry issued a proclamation declaring it to be a territorial institution, which officially opened on October 1, 1909. The property consists of approximately 4,000 acres.
The main compound covers approximately 40 acres. Most of the current facility was built in the mid-1960’s and is designed as an open campus with ten separate living units. The balance of the acreage is utilized for growing alfalfa to feed the facility cattle during the winter.
In November 2005, the Children, Youth & Family Department decided to close the juvenile facility. The New Mexico Corrections Department determined it would be suitable to house Level 1 & 2 inmates. The NMCD requested and received funding to operate the facility from the 2006 legislature. Construction of a double perimeter fence, installation of lighting, security cameras and remodeling of the interior began in June 2006. Springer Correctional Center (SCC) opened officially on January 1, 2007 and transitioned to a women’s facility in October of 2016.
Springer Correctional Center (SCC) has approximately 22 buildings. This includes eight dormitories, two level one housing units, several multi-programs buildings, maintenance buildings, and kitchen, dining and warehouse facilities. The gym complex consists of a full basketball court and weight room.
How to put money on an inmate account?
An approved visitor can send a money order with the inmates name and number to the facility.